Monday, March 12, 2012
I have wanted a flannel bathrobe for a really long time, but have always been put off by the fact that they cost what seems like a lot of money, and couldn't I make myself one anyways? Now that I actually have made one, $60 bucks or more doesn't seem that expensive, I have to say. I couldn't stomach buying 6 yards of flannel fabric, so I bought this funny leafy patterned king size sheet at goodwill and then combined it with another flannel sheet that I had in my stash for the contrasting collar/cuffs.
The pattern that I used was Butterick 6837... the robes on the cover looked cute and "very loose fitting" sounded comfy. Unfortunately, I got so caught up in making the robe that I forgot that I am a short person and that I should pay attention to things like sleeve length and making the adjustments that make it worthwhile to have made yourself a custom garment. So, long story short, it's huge on me. The sleeves are way to long, the belt falls way below my waist, and "very loose fitting" is an understatement. I am trying to think of it as a wearable muslin, and conveniently it fits Lawson perfectly so I gave it to him. Lawson pointed out that this robe is not exactly manly and then had the great idea that I could dye it green or blue - so I may do that at some point in the future.
Although really, now that I have "given" it to him, it doesn't annoy me that it's oversized if it's because I am borrowing my husband's robe... so I have basically claimed it back. I bought another sheet to make another one if I have the time and energy, and honestly I am not sure if I do make another one if I will use this pattern and try to adjust it, or if I will just find a new pattern that is a bit more fitted. Luckily I am not in a rush, since I now do have a nice snuggly (if extremely baggy) robe to wear!