Wednesday, July 13, 2011
WIP Weds - Drunkard's Path Quilt Top finished and Kaleidoscope QAL started
I finished my drunkard's path quilt top last night - I am really happy with how it turned out! I had posted a photo on the needle and spatula facebook page showing a possible layout of the blocks with the yellows on the diagonal and got good advice from several folks to put the oranges down the diagonal since it is a more dominant color - which was kind of what I was thinking too after I saw it laid out. I'd love advice on how to quilt it - I am thinking I may just do diagonal lines through the sub-blocks because while I think echo quilting would look lovely I don't think I'm up for it on my tiny machine.
Here are more closeup shots of the orange and yellow blocks - I used mostly central park fabrics (including parts of a charm pack leftover from my last central park quilt), but added in other coordinating fabrics from my stash as well. I love the color scheme for this quilt but I also think it would have looked great with a wider range of the colors from this line. Since I have used stash fabrics in each of these central park quilts as well, I think I have enough fabric left for another central park quilt, probably using the whole range of colors - which is great since I love this fabric line!
I have mentioned to a few folks that I was thinking about doing a drunkard's path quilt-along once I finished up this quilt. I am pretty sure that I am going to go ahead and do it, so stay tuned for more details! Since we are moving across the country next month, the QAL probably won't really start until mid-September or even October, but I am hoping to write a few posts for August/early September with more inspiration/layout ideas. I am super excited about it, I hope you will consider joining in!
With the central park quilt top finished, I have finally moved on to start my kaleidoscope quilt for Elizabeth's quilt-along! I am mostly using the same fabrics as my original stack but with a few additions, and I did decide on the lighter grey color for my solid, thanks to everyone who chimed in with an opinion on that. I am planning to make the baby size quilt and have already cut out 34 of the 48 needed triangle pieces and have used less than half of the fabrics, so I'm not sure if they all will make it in... but I may make it a slightly larger 4 blocks x 4 blocks (rather than 3 x 4), so then I would be able to fit in more fabrics.
I have been playing around with layouts a bit before I finish cutting my pieces (so I can make sure I cut the right number of each size/color for whatever design I choose), and I was really drawn to this larger design variation that some folks had done. I was thinking about a scrappy option (above) or a more color coordinated option (below) - and I played around with a few other options too, which you can see in my flickr stream.
I realized that this design wouldn't work very well in a baby-sized quilt, though - there just isn't enough room for the large scale repeats, so you basically only get the larger circle pattern showing once (or maybe a few times in the 4 x 4 sized quilt). So, I think I am going to stick with the regular layout in the end.
I'm not sure yet if I will got with a scrappy layout (above), a color coordinated layout (below) or something else... but at least now I know to go ahead and cut out the half square triangle pieces (and apologies for the centers being filled with scraps in these photos, since I hadn't cut out any of those pieces yet).
I'm linking up again to WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced - head over to see everyone's fun projects!